One of the most difficult things to do anywhere and everywhere is changing things, especially when it is a part of you as a person such as your name and identifying characteristics (such as codes and passwords).
Online, it can also be difficult to change your name, although passwords are often easy to change and this is generally encouraged. Social media sites greatly discourage name changes.
For Xbox Live, although there are many steps involved in changing your gamertag, it is relatively simple.
- Sign in to Xbox Live
- Press the Guide Button on the console.
- Go to “Settings” and select “Profile”
- From the drop-down menu, choose “Edit Profile” and select “Gamertag”
- From the “Change Gamertag” you will be offered a suggestion and the choice to choose a new one. Be aware that if you want “John Smith” as a gamertag then there is a very good possibility that it has already been taken.
- You will then be prompted to confirm the change, and once you have done that, then your name is changed!
- You can do this once. Subsequent changes will require the use of 800 Microsoft points.
- The tag can be up to 15 characters, and include letters, numbers and spaces.
- You could be delinked from your friends list. Send a note beforehand informing them of the change.
- Do not have anything that could be construed as offensive, sexist or racist as you could be banned.
Remember that when you get more free xbox live gold membership you can enjoy this ease for a greater period of time.